Thursday, November 3, 2011

Finished my Lollypop Trees top...

I love it!  I had quite a mix of old and new Kaffe prints as I just kept buying and buying them.  It does measure square, I put it on the grass and photographed it off the deck so this is from 15' up.  I started mine in February and finished it last night.  

When I did the sashing I made pairs of blocks, then sewed pairs of pairs together without cutting between them.  I continued down the line and that was helpful in the sewing to sew multiple strips at a time.  I did pin the sashing strips to the quilts because I wanted it to line up exactly.  Offset corners would show up with the black.

These are my Kaffe fabrics I have left - most are 1/8 of a yard or so.  I am going to cut them into 4.5" width strips and make the backing out of them.  The design I am going to use is based on this one:

Volume in Scraps from Scrap Republic by Emily Cier.  Her quilt in the book is only about 60", I think, so I am making 15 columns of 4" strips which should come out to 100".  I might add another strip in there so the machine quilter will have enough of a backing.  

Thanks for sharing this journey with me.  I don't know when I'm going to make another Kim McLean quilt - I need to do this backing, then I have Lilly Pilly to make.  

1 comment:

Pia Merete said...

Hi Summer,

Your quilt is so wonderful. I showed it to my daughter and she asked me to make one similar for her! :-) Sometime... First I want to finish my Roseville Album ... :-)