Friday, February 13, 2009

Beef Stir Fry with Broccoli and Shiitake

I made this for lunch today - it was very good! The recipe is from our CSA, Klesick Family Farm.



Notes are next to things I left out because I didn't have them. ;)

1/4 lb fresh shiitake caps
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. cooking wine *I used plain white wine*
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger *I used ground powdered*
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. sesame oil *couldn't find mine so I left out*
1 lb. flank steak
2 Tbsp. peanut oil *I used macadamia nut oil*
1 lb broccoli, rinsed and cut into 2" pieces
1 bunch green onions, cut on the diagonal into 1/4" slices *these were probably longer than 1/4" inch*

Remove the stems from the shiitake and slice caps into 1/4" strips.

Stir the soy sauce, wine, ginger, garlic, cornstarch ans sesame oil into a small bowl and set aside.

Cut the flank steak lengthwise into four strips, then cut the strips across the grain into 1/4" pieces.

Heat a 14" wok *I used a 12" frying pan* over high heat until a drop of water dances immediately. Swirl the peanut oil into the pan. Add the beef, distributing evenly, and cook undisturbed for a minute to brown. Add the broccoli and shiitake caps and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Give the soy sauce mixture a quick stir to unsettle the cornstarch and pour the mixture all at once over the beef mixture. Toss and cook the mixture for another minute or two to form a shiny glaze over the meat and vegetables. Scatter the green onions on top and serve.

No comments: